Sunday, January 27, 2008

Two More Trips to Beaver

Alright, I think you are all going to get the idea that all we ever do is ski... partly true for Shane and Bradley every weekend. But really, I came out of retirement after over 11 years not skiing and it was just like riding a bike, you never forget. Emma has made amazing strides in just three trips total skiing, she can do it all on her own on the flatter stuff. She's only 3 and it was amazing. Most of our shots were videos so the still shots don't do it justice. (I've tried to upload videos several times and they never work out.)
Day One:Saturday, Jan. 19, 2008 started out with one potty trip after another and we thought we'd never get Skiing. First Shane, then Me, then Emma (Bradley and Uncle Mark went straight to the lifts) but we got our business taken care of and it was finally off to the slopes.

I got the pleasure of riding on the lift with Bradley. It was so fun to chat with my son in the stillness of the mountains. It was snowing and with black gloves on we spotted some amazing, huge, perfectly formed snow flakes landing on us. Bradley is so observant of things in nature.


Emma's first attempt at skiing on her own, she kept yanking her hand away from Shane as if to say "let ME do it." She wants to learn so much.
Emma was ecstatic at the end of the day. She had so Much Fun.

Day Two:
Monday, Jan. 21, 2008 Bradley was out of School for Martin Luther King Day and so Shane took a vacation day. We dropped Lindsay off at Nanny and Papa's again (Thanks again Nanny and Papa) and the four of us went up to Beaver Mtn. Again. This time we skipped the bunny hill and headed straight for Gentle Ben (over a mile long green run). Emma learned to snow plow ("pizza shape") and parallel ("french fry shape"). She was loving it and never wanted to go back to the bunny hill again.

I wish I could include a video, but she really was amazing. She even got to where she could turn slightly to aim herself to you.

Waving to her public. She is addicted to the slopes and there is no stopping her now.
Next year maybe Lindsay will Join...Oh wait she'll only be two, well, we'll see. Ha, Ha.

7 comments:

stacy said...

oh man that looks like a ton of fun! i have never been skiing and i can't imagine my three year old doing it. i love how you said you that you loved chatting with bradley in the stillness of that mountains. along with the pictures it really gave me a sence of what it was like out there. it;s so nice that you can do such fun family outings together. :)

Jillyboo said...

looks like so much fun... and soooo cold.
Dave is really hoping to be somewhere like Denver this next Winter so that he can get back on his snowboard... and get the kids going as well.
Emma is a doll up there, the pro on the ski's. My brother started to ski at age 3 and man, he is amazing!!!

Jenn said...

I am just going to start calling y'all Ski Bums! We are jealous! Emma skis better than me! Shane will need to invent a colostomy bag for skiers! I am sure that he could come up with something! Great pictures!

Unknown said...

I am so proud of Emma. I am so jealous. One of these days I will get to go snowboarding.

Shane said...

Jenn and Bill,
Thanks for the colostomy bag idea. I already have plans for the prototype. (Might show up on "Shane's Garage Blog") It involves a 30 gallon Glad Bag and 2 ply toilet paper. I was shooting for baby wipes at first, but they freeze. OUCH!! Field testing will be needed. Will you be so kind to help??

Love, Shane

Unknown said...

It's just weird that my 3 year old grand daughter skis better than I ever did in my whole life. WOW! I'm so impressed. Maybe next winter we can come watch you all skiing. What a great family activity

5littlenordstroms said...

Hi Leavitt Family. We are so glad you found us and sorry we haven't put any comments up yet but life gets busy. You know how it is. Anyway we enjoy reading about your skiing adventures and keeping in touch with old friends. A two hour drive isn't to bad for getting together sometime and Danny goes up there a lot for work so maybe we could work something out.

The Nordstroms